Thursday, May 29, 2014

Some Of The Odd Things

I was feeding the little man cub one of those baby food fruit combos(something like banana-strawberry--you know the kind--looks disgusting but doesn't smell all that bad) was tempted by curiosity and decided to try it myself. I KNOW I'm not the only mom who has done this and at least I'm not making an excuse by saying "I want to know what I'm feeding my child!" So anyway, I licked the spoon and was satisfied. It WAS delicious and I fully understood why he prefers that over some sort of lukewarm pea mixture. But then I instantly thought, I wonder how many carbs I just consumed. I laughed. I think about carbs, fiber and protein every time I eat, which I won't label as good or bad, it just "is". It is how I view my food now, in terms of numbers and how it will affect my glucose later. My relationship with food is very precise and professional; I weigh, calculate, and bolus insulin accordingly. I celebrate when I get it right, but many times I'm wrong and need to correct the miscalculations. But even when I have the exact amount of carbs on a label before me, I still need to correct sometimes. Why?! Because diabetes is affected by many factors like stress, hormones, the weather, the day of the week, what I ate for breakfast, how much sleep I got, the phase of the moon, and how hard I crossed my fingers hoping for a number between 100-120. I find often when I test my blood sugar I see the result and either 1) ask "how in the world did that happen" or 2) say nothing and shrug my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment