Saturday, May 31, 2014

Much To Be Grateful For

My little man turned one yesterday and oh, did we celebrate! A cookout at the park complete with wonderful people, hotdogs, volleyball and perfect weather combined to create something memorable. A gal I go to church with made cupcakes decorated like basketballs, baseballs, and footballs. I saved a chocolate football cake for the little guy thinking he would enjoy shoving the sugary compound in his face--with both hands at the same time (much like his father). But was taken back when he stared at it as if to question my judgment. I helped him out by letting him lick some frosting off my fingers but I still wasn't able to convince him. So there I sat, baby on my lap as he picked up tiny pieces of cake, squished it between his fingers, and then dropped it on the table before him. FYI I had no problem feeding him carrot puree about an hour before. The little man knows what he wants (or doesn't want)and I respect that. He was happy and social with our friends and family throughout the evening. Babbling and laughing and allowing to be passed around the group. He liked the attention and I'm sure he will miss it when we move out of state. Everyone seemed to have an enjoyable time, especially the kids as they wacked the pinata to pieces. My little guy watched from a distance confused, but entertained. My husband and I feel blessed to have close connections to our family, neighbors and friends--many of whom came because they love us and love my baby. This time of year comes with a spectrum of emotions. Sweetness and gratitude because of the birth of my little guy, loss and sorrow because my grandpa passed away 1 day later (1 year ago today). I miss grandpa and wish he were here to talk about how much diabetes sucks with me. He was type 2 and the only other person with diabetes in my family, the one who could truly relate. I visited his grave with my grandma today, who placed a dozen roses by his headstone and called him an "old fart" at least 3 times--appropriately so and very much like how relationship was. I sat on the ground and observed while my babe crawled around on the grass and my grandma expressed how grateful she was that the baby was born at a time when she needed to feel some fulfillment during extreme loss. I feel the same way about my baby; a feeling of loss of my old way of life (working pancreas and all) but filled with love for my happy boy with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. He makes me smile more than my pancreas ever did. SIDE NOTE: Husband and I played tennis tonight. I preped by reducing my basal insulin by 50% and snacking 10-15 min before we started (about 1/4 cup chocolate milk, a few grapes, and some almonds; an excellent balance of carb and protein I think)! It was windy which made our volleys unpredictable but humorous and even though my husband says he's rusty, he still beat me by 4 games. Not bothered by that number though because my glucose numbers stayed between 130-150. SUCCESS!

1 comment:

  1. You are a POWERHOUSE! Simply amazing! I love you!!!!! So happy to you have a blog - and even happier to have a place to see updates from hundreds of miles away...

    ReplyDelete